Note: this page covers the Standalone version of DayZ; for information on the Mod, see Mod:Chernogorsk.
|Category||Locations > Towns and Cities|
|Grid Reference||067 127|
|A View of Chernogorsk|
Chernogorsk (pronunciation), or "Cherno" for short, is a large industrialized city located on the southern coast of Chernarus, between Balota and Elektrozavodsk. Chernogorsk was a regional administrative center that provided infrastructure and services to many of the surrounding communities.
Originally a small fisherman's village situated on Black Bay, the city became heavily industrialized by the investments of the Chernarussian Republic, which began in the 50s of the previous century. The heavy industrialization is reflected in the fast-engineered infrastructure and generic apartment block style housing developments, which expanded beyond Chernogorsk proper into several adjoining suburb areas (Vysotovo, Dubovo, and Novoselki).
Chernogorsk has always been a harbor town. Once connected to northern trade routes by means of coastal railroad, it became a reliable transport hub for raw materials flow to Elektrozavodsk and other industrial centers the country's infrastructure previously couldn't support.
The city has a giant factory complex adjoining the city center, a remarkable City Hall constructed 1955, and a relic of a famous hotel built near victory square. It has a Hospital, a Police Station, a Fire Station, and several places of worship in its vicinity.
During the outbreak, a small military camp was set up near the industrial district of the city.
Similar to Berezino, This city has rightfully earned a reputation for being one of the most violent places in Chernarus. Due to this area being a spawn location, the plane-wrecked hotel and city hall making the town easy to spot, and the Balota Airstrip being nearby has made Chernogorsk an extremely volatile location. Newly spawned players and players passing through should exercise caution here and in its surrounding communities, to say the least.
Buildings of Interest
- Church (2)
- City Hall
- Factories, especially in the industrial area
- A Fire Station can be found on the north side of town just down the hill from Novoselki.
- Tenements (5)
- The Hospital is found in the area between the police station and fire station.
- The Police Station is located near the center of the city.
- Military Tents (2) and Fortified Nest located in the eastern evacuation site.
After the Outbreak
Since the outbreak, the city populace has succumbed to the virus and its apartment buildings and abandoned factories are now infested with Infected. The city's large size and abundance of loot make it a target for scavengers. It is one of the most populated places on the map and, as such, is a risky place for newly spawned players. Snipers will often hide on rooftops or on the hills north of the city and attack unwitting players due to the high traffic through the area.
- In pervious versions, an Engraved Kolt 1911 could be found at the Old Cherno evac site. This was the only place it could be found.
- The name "Chernogorsk" derives from "Black Hill" in Russian. In real life there is a town with same name in the Republic of Khakassia, Russia. Population: 77,397. The real Chernogorsk has a very similar entrance sign to DayZ's. Unlike DayZ's Chernogorsk, which is a coastal town, the real Chernogorsk is a landlocked town.
- ^ The history section in part is based on the fictional history of Chernarus, that has been the setting for both ARMA II and DayZ Mod. Based on the assumption that DayZ takes place in a branching timeline after the events of ARMA II.