It would be cool if you could mention in the article that the game map - when and if you find it is pretty useless as it is A) in ENGLISH - whereas the road signs are in RUSSIAN and B) You are not marked on the map like you are in Arma 2 anyway. So really, without ALT TABbing out to use an internet map, the game is uselsss.—This unsigned comment is by 126.96.36.199 (wall • contribs) 17:16, 8 August 2012. Please sign your posts with ~~~~!
- My friend, use the map on this site (or the DB map) to do a map recon before you start the game. Learn the key features (notable hilltops, draws, fingers, water sources, buildings, etc., as well as the general paths of roads and power lines) of the terrain along your intended route and IF you're fortunate enough to find the map once you get in-game, then you can use that to confirm your location (using terrain association) or modify your route, if necessary. The language on the map is really irrelevant--focus instead on the terrain and other major features in the area in which you're interested.
- In any event, I think that this article really needs to include information about which keys perform which functions on the map, such as shift-click, which will place a waypoint marker, etc. I only just found a map in-game and haven't figured out all the different ways to interact with it, so I really can't add much to the article. Does anyone else have this info so it can be included?
- Regards, --LoveThatDayZBaby (talk) 00:59, 26 November 2012 (UTC)
There really needs to be a section on how to use the in-game map properly.
- map controls
- setting waypoints and usage with a gps
- adding markers
- discussion on visibility of players/zombies/markers, etc
I'd be happy to add some of this, but the page is protected... Another possibility would be a separate page (linked from the equipment section) for the in-game map, while keeping the spoiler external map links here.
--Baeleron (talk) 16:34, 11 July 2012 (UTC)
http://dayzmap.info is outdated and http://dayzdb.com/map is the way to go at this moment. I don't know why Smokie keeps removing it as primary link to "Map with loot spots and drop chance" but you should really link it again. It's not competitive to this Wiki if that's the reason for deleting it again and again. It's just about loot-chances and weapon-info, i don't think it's gonna be as detailed as this Wiki. And even if that would be the case i don't think that should be the altitude of any Wiki, trying to hide opposition. I mean the whole setup is for open information, but that's just my humble opinion. Have a good one!
How do you even make these maps using Google maps? I am trying to create a nice app for iDevices that would have a tab to link to a Google map on my site, but I don't know how to make these maps. (No, the app is not just a map linked to a site). R3TRI8UTI0N (talk) 08:15, 23 July 2012 (UTC)
- You can use one of the many high-res maps available at the internet and use the Google Maps API to set the markers and stuff. The biggest problem with apps (either for iOS or Android) is the file size... So you might need some slicing and different resolutions to make it as smooth as possible. This however isn't very easy, unless the SDK (or third-party script) can do this for you.
- Personally I'm not very familiar with app building, but I do know that the Google Maps API is available for mobile apps (https://developers.google.com/maps/mobile-apps) - Grezvany13 (talk) 12:14, 23 July 2012 (UTC)
- I made the google map for the wiki. I used this map:  and then the programe Global Mapper for slicing the map in different zoom's. And finally 'hacked' the lot together in notepad to make it play. It is NOT easy but i have worked with google map API some years ago so i somehow knew how to do it. Google have lots of help how to build a map. - I hope this information help you a bit. Else just contact me if you need any further help - sEi (Talk) 12:40, 23 July 2012 (UTC)
- It is not in my power to admit such use - and also the map has kind of protection for being hotlinked. (it might work - might not) - Atm. i have no FTP access to the map and cannot change any code. I have to take your request up the chain! - I'll get back to you on this - sEi (Talk) 15:16, 31 July 2012 (UTC)